Marin Organic is a bold new concept for preserving farmland and farming as a way of life in our region, focused on environmental soundness and economic profitability.
It was developed by an association of farmers, ranchers, agriculture advisors and marketing experts to serve Marin County’s producers and consumers.
It is supported by the UC Cooperative Extension, Office of the Agricultural Commissioner, Marin County Board of Supervisors, Marin Agricultural Land Trust, Marin Food Policy Council, and consumers throughout the county.
Marin Organic is a cooperative association of Marin County organic producers whose livelihood is based on a respect for nature and a sense of place.
We understand the importance – ecological, social, and economic – of bringing the field closer to the table.
Therefore, we are dedicated to continually improving our farming practices, promoting the ethical, creative, and patient enterprise of sustainable agriculture, and encouraging a preference for locally produced food.
We seek to:
Create a sustainable local food system that ensures a wholesome, diverse and nourishing food supply for all residents.
Practice responsible stewardship of natural resources and wildlife.
Practice organic farming in a way that strengthens the local economy and supports the broader community.
Preserve the beauty and landscape of Marin County for future generations.
Goals for 2006
1. Continue to increase the number of organic farms in Marin County from and expand outreach to farmers and ranchers who are interested in transitioning to organic.
2. Develop and implement land management projects that result in environmental sustainability and increased biodiversity, including projects such as restoring riparian habitat, building soil fertility, and creating a pollinator corridor.
3. Collaborate with UCCE on a series of “On the Farm” education workshops for growers and processors.
4. Work with Marin Food Systems Project to increase the amount of organic food served in Marin County schools.
5. Increase the number of farm tours for school children which offer them real-world experience and teach them where their food comes from.